Saturday, June 16, 2012

Teach Yourself: Korean

There are many great resources to help you learn the alphabet and the language of this strange land I live in.

Omniglot
First you might want to learn the alphabet.This website is an amazing resources to learn the alphabet and pronunciation. It also includes history and a whole slue of information to help educate yourself about the Korean language. This is of course important in the spirit of learning, but also because the more you understand about what you're learning the easier to see the connections your new subject has with the world around you.

Learn Korean Now
Here is an excellent resource for the beginner too. This site covers the whole gammet of necessary things to learn the Korean language and become conversational with Koreans in short amount of time.

Talk to me in Korean
One of my favorite spots is Talk to me in Korean which includes a series of podcasts and worksheets. They start from the basics and work up to more advanced things. There are 7 levels each with 25-30 lessons. This is a great resource for the beginner. The lessons start in mostly English teaching the words you'll probably need first and go in a logical order from there building slowly and reviewing along the way.

I was honestly very surprised when I first looked into this how many sites exist to help a foreigner learn Korean. I am grateful, but not very motivated so my progress is slow. To be even more frank it makes me want to study other languages more. So my Swedish is coming along, and I've been working on basic French. Eric also helps out by speaking to me in Spanish frequently, which might be less romantic than you'd imagine. I may update this later with more, but since you're probably a beginner just like me, these websites ought to give you enough material to keep you busy until I find more =D

hugs Claire

1 comment: