Thursday, July 19, 2012

I made Kimbop

Like a BOSS

What follows is my story of making kimbop with illustrations by NIKON Coolpix S600.

For those who don't know, kimbop is a roll with seaweed on the outside, rice on the inside, and various other things filling the center. This story is that of my first attempt at making it with no instructions.

My Ingredients:
Peppers, and mushrooms
 mixed sprouts
 chili paste, ground black pepper, and diced onions
 Rice, seaweed sheets, hemp seed, grapeseed oil

My Utensils:
Rice spatula, oil brush, cutting board and the initial knife I tried to use
 My rolling device

Here is what my first roll looked like before I rolled it.

The following picture is after several attempts to "roll" it together and make it stick. There was too much rice and stuffing and no way for the seaweed to stick to itself. So this is after I "rolled" it, but before I cut it using the knife in the picture.
 Here you can see that something went terribly awry. That is not how it should look.
Here is a picture of my second roll. You can see it is much smaller. I used less rice and applied oil with my handy brush to the inside of the seaweed to make it stick together. As you can see to the left hand side of the picture I switched to a larger more dangerous knife in hopes of scaring the kimbop into perfect little pieces.
 This one still did not cut well. I was beginning to get depressed.
 Here is a picture of my third roll. This was a very well rolled kimbop, tightly packed and gushing contents out each end. You can see to the right that I was beginning to get chili paste everywhere. As a side note, my camera now has a chili paste scent.
 I thought that I was a total failure at cutting these things, or that maybe I had the wrong seaweed, rice, knife etc. But I'm a risk taker so I cut it anyway. Below is the result and a picture of what it should look like. Since I succeeded here I stopped taking pictures, because my hands were covered in chili paste and rice.
I continued to make several more rolls, and eat what fell apart. Total win.

2 comments:

  1. OMG that looks amazing! Can you teach me to make this when you come home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I can!! I'll be hitting up some Asian markets when I get home for some of the necessary Asian withdrawal foods anyway :D

      Delete